1 hr 10 mins
This is a classic Gulf dish -- yum yum! I've adapted this recipe from a recipe booklet that came free with "Ship Madras Curry Powder" I made it the other day and my husband thought it was wonderful! Serve with a nice, colourful salad, otherwise it'll look a bit yellow yellow yellow! Next time I want to try putting whole king prawns on top to add a bit of colour!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 large chopped onions
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 kg shelled shrimp
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons baharat (I used curry powder since we didn't have any baharat but baharat would be much better)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander (also known as "cilantro")
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1Soak rice.
- 2Fry onion and garlic in ghee until golden brown in a large pan.
- 3Add shrimps, curry powder, cinnamon, bay leaves and cardamom.
- 4Cook until the shrimps become opaque in colour.
- 5Remove half the shrimps and keep aside.
- 6To the pan add baharat, tomatoes, coriander, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- 7Stir over heat for 5 minutes.
- 8Add water.
- 9Bring to a boil then simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- 10Drain rice and stir into sauce.
- 11Bring it to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 12Cover tightly.
- 13Simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- 14Boil almonds.
- 15Remove their shells and halve.
- 16Fry until golden brown.
- 17Serve rice on a large platter.
- 18Add reserved shrimps and fried almonds to garnish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Machbous Rubyan (Rice With Shrimps)
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 931.4
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 560.2 mg
- Sodium 3612.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 70.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: