Recipe by baraahnz
This is a classic Gulf dish -- yum yum! I've adapted this recipe from a recipe booklet that came free with "Ship Madras Curry Powder" I made it the other day and my husband thought it was wonderful! Serve with a nice, colourful salad, otherwise it'll look a bit yellow yellow yellow! Next time I want to try putting whole king prawns on top to add a bit of colour!
Top Review by loverania
Great recipe....I prefer the tast of a litte ground cinnamon to the flavor of the sticks. Could chopped fresh coriander also be called cilantro? I think corinder is the seed of cilantro. Any way I made it with chopped fresh cilantro(which also makes a nice garnish) and it turned out wonderful .... especially with extra slivered almonds! This has become a regular dish in our house!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 2 large chopped onions
- 6 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 kg shelled shrimp
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons baharat (I used curry powder since we didn't have any baharat but baharat would be much better)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander (also known as "cilantro")
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak rice.
- Fry onion and garlic in ghee until golden brown in a large pan.
- Add shrimps, curry powder, cinnamon, bay leaves and cardamom.
- Cook until the shrimps become opaque in colour.
- Remove half the shrimps and keep aside.
- To the pan add baharat, tomatoes, coriander, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Stir over heat for 5 minutes.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain rice and stir into sauce.
- Bring it to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cover tightly.
- Simmer over low heat for 25-30 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Boil almonds.
- Remove their shells and halve.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Serve rice on a large platter.
- Add reserved shrimps and fried almonds to garnish.