Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An authentic Mexican recipe from the book "Mexican Cookery" by Barbara Hansen. This delectable shredded beef is perfection! Wonderful served stuffed into a warm flour tortilla. Recipe is easily doubled, or tripled. Could also be made in the crock pot.
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck
- 1 cup water
- 6 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 california chili pepper, roasted, peeled (or 1 roasted and peeled poblano chili, or 1 canned whole green chili)
- 2 small tomatoes, peeled, chopped (1/2 pound)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Place meat in large saucepan. Add water, peppercorns, 1/4 onion and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until meat is very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool meat in broth. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup broth. Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt to make a paste. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and garlic paste. Cook until onion is tender. Cut chili into short strips. Add chili strips and tomatoes to cooked onion.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add meat, cumin and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook until meat is heated through. Stir in reserved broth. Taste and add salt if needed. Keep warm.
- NOTE: Can be served as a main dish or in tacos or other tortilla dishes.