Recipe by Happy Hippie
Credit for this masterpiece recipe goes to my sister, Judy, the best cook I know. I can't imagine this machaca recipe being beaten by any other, at least any other I've tried which are many.
Top Review by SVSOUZA
I've been eating machaca for years at different restaurants in Mexico and in CA. This is very close to what I have eaten previously and very good. It needed a little bit more "spice" though. Also, it's super important to use a true non-stick pan or it will make cleanup really difficult. Thanks for sharing!
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 large onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 6 -8 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces el pato spicy tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In crockpot, cook roast on low heat 8-10 hours.
- Remove from pot and shred beef.
- In skillet, saute diced onion and green bell pepper until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and saute with onion for an additional minute or so.
- Add shredded beef to a very large skillet or dutch oven and heat with onion/garlic mixture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green chilis and tomatoes.
- Cook until well heated.
- Break eggs into a bowl and scramble.
- Add to meat mixture and cook until eggs are done and scrambled throughout.
- Add enough El Pato tomato sauce to moisten but not drench.
- When all is heated through, serve in large flour tortillas burrito style adding condiments as you wish.
- NOTE: If you eliminate the eggs, this makes a wonderful chimichanga filling as well.