I found this yesterday at about.com, and am very surprised there's nothing like it on Recipezaar (at least, I can't find it). We served this over nonfat yogurt cheese, but it would be equally delicious over just about anything. Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- Wash, then hull strawberries. Don't use strawberries that are "bad" -- overripe, underripe, moldy, squashed, resemble Richard Nixon -- if there's a white crown on a strawberry, don't use it.
- Set aside 6-8 strawberries, and roughly chop the rest of them. Irregular shapes are good.
- Take the 6-8 strawberries that were set aside, chop 'em too, then mash them with a fork so you've got a rough strawberry puree.
- Mix the chopped strawberries and the mashed strawberries in a bowl, trying to coat the whole pieces as much as possible.
- Add the honey, then the Grand Marnier, to the bowl. Stir gently until it's all coated.
- Refrigerate at least two hours, then serve over whatever pleases you.
- Note: If you don't want to use liqueur, you can substitute lemon juice and a teaspoon or two of lemon zest.
This was amazing! I used a pound of strawberries; maybe that was the same amount as was called for. Anyway, this is to die for! Thanks so much. I never would have come up with this on my own!
WOW, crazy name but wonderfully good! Followed as directed and used Grand Marnier. I gave everything a rough chop and a few smashes. I can see why it is important to have fully ripe & red strawberries. I will be serving over fresh pound cake along with whipped cream and ice cream, whatever our guests desire! Hopefully I'll get a photo. Thanks KLH!
I've made similar strawberries many times in the past but there's one thing that sets this recipe apart. The few mashed strawberries mixed in thicken the juices wonderfully, and almost make a sauce instead of just juice. Excellent!!! I used a hand blender to puree the 6 berries and I used Cherry Marnier instead of Grand Marnier which I thought was very good, but I will try it with Grand Marnier as well. Thanks for an easy twist on one of my favourite ways to serve strawberries.