Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious meal from Macedonia that is a nice change from the usual rice stuffed peppers. Flavorful and easty to make.
- 8 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 small green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- Cut the top from the stem end of each pepper.
- Remove seeds and wash.
- Drop peppers into boiling, salted water and parboil 5 minutes; Drain completely.
- Melt butter in heavy frying pan.
- Add onions, garlic and chopped pepper and saute until tender.
- Add tomato puree, ham, salt, and pepper to taste; Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in bread crumbs and eggs.
- Stuff mixture into pepper shells. Sprinkle tops with cracker crumbs. Bake in oven of 350 for about 25 minutes or until stuffing is firm and lightly browned on top.