Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made this last night from The New Moosewood Cookbook. I really enjoyed it served with portobello mushroom burgers. I used chopped kalamata olives and crumbled Greek feta as optional garnishes that really made the dish. I also used 1/2 Tb fresh basil as I had some on hand. Prep time does not include several hours marinating time. I did not peel my eggplant.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes (can opt to not peel, can opt for smaller than 1-inch cubes)
- olive oil, mist (for baking tray)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more, to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup packed finely minced parsley
- 2 small scallions, very finely minced
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, minced
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- olive (Greek, oil-cured or Nicoise)
- crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F Spread the eggplant cubes onto a lightly oiled baking tray, and roast in the oven about 15 minutes, or until tender enough so a fork can slide in easily. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, and lemon juice in a medium-sized bowl. Add the still-warm eggplant and stir. Cover, and let sit for at least 2 hours. (At this stage, it will keep in the refrigerator for several days).
- Add the remaining vegetables within an hour or two of serving. Serve garnished with olives and yogurt or crumbled feta cheese.
I made this recipe work good for us! Coming from someone who adores eggplant I made this without the peppers, don't really like them anyway. I used a small unpeeled organic eggplant with half the amount of dressing using organic olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar, for religious reasons, organic garlic, sea salt, no dried basil or thyme, just marjoram, organic freshly squeezed lemon juice, organic parsley, & organic scallion, served with organic unhomoginised kifer, a strong tasting dairy product like yogurt. Made for Veggie Swap When you were chef of the month.