Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
a nice Christmas cookie
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups flaked coconut, divided
- maraschino cherries or chocolate Hershey chocolate kiss
- In a mixing bowl cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Combine in egg yolk, extract, and juice.
- Combine in the flour, powder, and salt, creaming and blending well.
- Add in 3 cups of the coconut.
- Cover and chill for one hour.
- Shape into 1 inch balls.
- Roll into the remaining coconut and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in a preheated 300 degree oven, for 10 to 12 minutes or until just lightly golden.
- Remove and place a cherry or chocolate kiss on top of each.
- Cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan to a wire rack and cool completely.