Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Lees is a traditional Scottish company that makes great sweets (candy) that even adults still can not resist. This is an accurate copy for macaroon bars. They are very sweet and delicious. Easy recipe to make and your friends will never believe the mystery ingredient.
- 4 ounces mashed potatoes, cold
- 16 ounces icing sugar (approx)
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chips (approx)
- 4 ounces desiccated coconut (approx)
- Boil potato until soft; drain and mash well. I know it seem a very small amount but it is all you need (promise). Cool this slightly.
- Gradually start to add and mix the icing sugar until it becomes very stiff and hard to mix any more. (You may need less or more than in ingredient list; it depends on the potato).
- It is ready when you can roll a ball of it in your hands and it is only slightly sticky.
- Have a grease proof or silicone sheet on your work surface (or dust with icing sugar).
- Cover your hand with icing sugar to prevent sticking.
- Take enough of the mixture to make a thin sausage about 2 or 3" in length.
- Place onto the paper. These may not always look staight; it does not matter.
- Continue until all the mixture has gone.
- Your first ones should now be set (be able to pick up, quite stiff).
- Next step is to have a bowl of the melted chocolate and a bowl of coconut ready (side by side is easiest for the dipping).
- Now take each piece and dip into chocolate and then roll in the coconut and place back onto the sheet to dry.
- Noone ever believes that this sweet is made with potato and tastes like heaven.
- I have used chopped nuts to cover, as a change from coconut, and this worked well.