Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Definitely sent by angels, this recipe makes 24 cuppies and is diabetic friendly. They are sooo pretty tinted with a bit of food coloring; just stir it in the batter. If you're making them for a baby shower (so much easier and cheaper than buying a heavy-on-the-calories bakery cake) tint some of the batter blue, some of the batter pink, and bake them in the mini-muffin liners. The possibilities are ENDLESS!
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder (if you're using all-purpose flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (if you're using all-purpose flour)
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft mounds form. Gradually add in the 1/3 cup sugar, heating until stiff peaks form. Blend in extracts.
- Mix together 1 cup sugar and flour (also baking powder and salt if using all-purpose flour). Add to egg white mixture. By hand, fold in gently, but thoroughly. Fold in coconut. (Add food coloring now if you desire).
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups filing to within 1/4 an inch of the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown and the cake is set. If using the mini muffin liners, bake 20-25 minutes.
- **NOTE** Cakes may be made ahead and frozen, tightly wrapped, for 2-3 weeks. Allow 2 hours to thaw at room temperature.
I had some leftover egg whites to use up so thought I'd give this a go. From the mixture I got 12 cupcakes & 12 mini cupcakes. I used 1 tsp vanilla & 1/2 almond as I'm not too keen on the almond flavour. These were really light & cooked in no time. I forgot to adjust the time for my fan-forced oven so overcooked them a little & they were a little dry so be careful with that but they tasted delicious anyway. I iced them with an orange icing made from a little orange juice & marmalade & icing sugar. yum!