Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Definitely sent by angels, this recipe makes 24 cuppies and is diabetic friendly. They are sooo pretty tinted with a bit of food coloring; just stir it in the batter. If you're making them for a baby shower (so much easier and cheaper than buying a heavy-on-the-calories bakery cake) tint some of the batter blue, some of the batter pink, and bake them in the mini-muffin liners. The possibilities are ENDLESS!
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar or 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder (if you're using all-purpose flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (if you're using all-purpose flour)
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft mounds form. Gradually add in the 1/3 cup sugar, heating until stiff peaks form. Blend in extracts.
- Mix together 1 cup sugar and flour (also baking powder and salt if using all-purpose flour). Add to egg white mixture. By hand, fold in gently, but thoroughly. Fold in coconut. (Add food coloring now if you desire).
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups filing to within 1/4 an inch of the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until light golden brown and the cake is set. If using the mini muffin liners, bake 20-25 minutes.
- **NOTE** Cakes may be made ahead and frozen, tightly wrapped, for 2-3 weeks. Allow 2 hours to thaw at room temperature.
I had some leftover egg whites to use up so thought I'd give this a go. From the mixture I got 12 cupcakes & 12 mini cupcakes. I used 1 tsp vanilla & 1/2 almond as I'm not too keen on the almond flavour. These were really light & cooked in no time. I forgot to adjust the time for my fan-forced oven so overcooked them a little & they were a little dry so be careful with that but they tasted delicious anyway. I iced them with an orange icing made from a little orange juice & marmalade & icing sugar. yum!