1/2 Photos of Macarons Aux Amandes (French Almond Macaroons)
The taste of French Almond Macaroons is based on high quality almonds. Do not use pre-ground almonds. Get unblanched almonds, blanch them prior making and ground them as descibed in this recipe. For this recipe the egg white is mixed directly to the almonds and sugar mixture. The amount of egg white is critical. I always start with only one egg white first. And if the dough has not the right consistency I add a little more egg white.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Roasting Almonds: preheat oven (220°C). Roast blanched almonds on baking tray for about 10 or until golden brown. Do not over-roast. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 2Making Cookies: Preheat oven (180°C).
- 3Reserve some almonds for decoration (optional).
- 4Ground the roasted almonds with sugar in food processor.
- 5While motor is running add as much egg white as need to make a smooth and soft dough, which is still sticky. Add almond or vanilla extract and mix well. The dough has the right consistency, if you can form ball with moistened hands, but is sticky.
- 6With slightly moistened hands form walnut sized balls. Put dough balls on baking tray flatten them slightly.
- 7Optional: decorate cookies with halved almonds and/or slightly dust cookies with caster sugar.
- 8Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the macaroons are slightly golden on top and firm.
- 9Take tray out of the oven and let cool cookies on tray for a few minutes. Then remove the cookies carefully from tray and let cool completely on cooling rack.
- 10NOTE on egg white: you may need more than 1 egg white. But start with one and mix very well. Only if the dough is too crumby after mixing add some more egg white.
- 11Yield is a guess.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macarons Aux Amandes (French Almond Macaroons)
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.6
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 2.3 g