Recipe by Stephanie in Pittsburgh
I got this recipe from one of the local newspapers. You have to love blue cheese to love this mac-n-cheese. I love blue cheese!
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 8 ounces blue cheese, such as Point Reyes, Maytag Blue or 8 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream or 1⁄3 cup mascarpone
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 12 ounces penne (tubular pasta) or 12 ounces tagliatelle pasta noodles (flat noodles)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a heavy nonstick frying pan over medium heat until the pine nuts turn golden brown in spots. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the blue cheese with the cream and pesto. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water until el dente. Drain and reserve about a 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Toss the hot pasta with the cheese mixture in a large bowl, adding a few spoonfuls of the hot cooking water to bind the sauce to the pasta.
- Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve right away on warmed plates.