Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My dad's favorite; just for you, Pops.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, preheated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- ground nutmeg (a pinch)
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb ziti pasta
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (use whole milk mozzarella)
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (use whole milk ricotta)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Heat butter in a big saucepan until melted; stir in flour until smooth.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat for about 3 minutes, until the flour is cooked.
- Gradually stir in the hot milk until smooth; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, Tabasco, and nutmeg.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta in colander, then return back to pot; stir in 1 cup mozzarella, the ricotta, ¼ cup parmesan, and parsley into the cooked past to blend.
- Add in white sauce; taste and adjust seasonings.
- Spoon into a buttered 13x9 inch baking dish; sprinkle the top with the remaining ½ cup mozzarella and ¼ cup parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 45 minutes, until browned on top and bubbly.