Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this on another website, www.grouprecipes.com Posted by Jkstern who said this is a "Grown up version of a kid favorite...but kids love it too :-)"
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced serrano ham
- 1 large leek, white part only thinly sliced
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add the ham and cook until brown.
- Add the leek.
- Then add the cream.
- When the cream begins to simmer, add the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and pasta, and season with salt and prepare.
- Divide the pasta into 4 oven-proof dishes.
- Top with Gruyere cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- macaroni will be very hot so it is best to let it sit just a few minutes before serving.
I love this recipe! It so simple and soooo tasty. I have made this with both ham and bacon and love it either way. I have also substituted evaporated milk if I didn't have cream and it didn't hurt the rich creaminess at all. Very nice, sophisticated tasting comfort food.