Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 15 mins
Make and share this Macaroni With Greens, Bacon, and Black-Eyed Peas recipe from Food.com.
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot; add in 1 ½ teaspoons salt and the greens; stir until wilted.
- Cover and cook until the greens are just tender, about 7 minutes; drain in a colander.
- Rinse the pot with cold water to cool, then refill with cold water.
- Dump the greens into the cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Gather a handful of greens, lift out of the water, and squeeze until only droplets fall from them.
- Repeat with the remaining greens; roughly cut the greens.
- Fry bacon in a saute pan over med-low heat until crisp, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- If necessary, add oil to the bacon drippings to bring up to 2 tablespoons.
- Add in onion; saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in greens; saute to coat with oil.
- Add in ½ cup chicken stock; cover and cook over med-high heat, adding more stock during cooking, if necessary, until the greens are tender and juicy and most of the stock has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and remaining stock; bring to a simmer; cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 5 minutes; taste and adjust seasonings.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a big pot; add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to the boiling water; cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the cooking pot; stir in the beans and greens.
- Divide among 4 pasta bowls; serve immediately.