Recipe by Shuzbud
This is the weeknight version of my Gnocchi Bake With Pancetta and Red Onion- same great flavour but quicker and easier to make. If you use another type of pasta, you may need 2 cups as macaroni is small and dense. Also feel free to substitute bacon for the pancetta- it works just as well.
Top Review by IngridH
Rich and creamy, this is a perfect dish to make on a weeknight. I used small shells for the pasta, and for me, the amounts listed worked perfectly. I loved the sweetness that came from using sun-dried tomato. I served this as a side dish, and it would easily serve 4. Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cubed (can easily substitute bacon)
- 1 3⁄4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped tomatoes (about 1 small can)
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- parmesan cheese, to top (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the pancetta. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Start cooking the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Add the red onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes, or until the pancetta is cooked and the onion softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, and mascarpone cheese. Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil to the pancetta sauce mixture and stir. Pour the sauce over the cooked and drained macaroni and toss gently to coat it.
- Sprinkle over some parmesan cheese if desired and serve!