Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the weeknight version of my Gnocchi Bake With Pancetta and Red Onion- same great flavour but quicker and easier to make. If you use another type of pasta, you may need 2 cups as macaroni is small and dense. Also feel free to substitute bacon for the pancetta- it works just as well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cubed (can easily substitute bacon)
- 1 3⁄4 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped tomatoes (about 1 small can)
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- parmesan cheese, to top (optional)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the pancetta. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Start cooking the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Add the red onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes, or until the pancetta is cooked and the onion softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, and mascarpone cheese. Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped basil to the pancetta sauce mixture and stir. Pour the sauce over the cooked and drained macaroni and toss gently to coat it.
- Sprinkle over some parmesan cheese if desired and serve!
Rich and creamy, this is a perfect dish to make on a weeknight. I used small shells for the pasta, and for me, the amounts listed worked perfectly. I loved the sweetness that came from using sun-dried tomato. I served this as a side dish, and it would easily serve 4. Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers.
This turned out very well. I used whole wheat ziti and four sun dried tomatoes vs. paste. Used one pound of pasta which was perfect for the quantity of sauce. Added some hot pepper flakes for some zip.