Recipe by Lorac
An authentic Italian casserole from "Culinaria Italy".
Top Review by Becky in Wisconsin
* * * MADE FOR COOKATHON FOR Lorac December 2013 * * * <br/>This is a wonderful dish!! We really enjoyed it! The only change I did was cut the recipe in half. I have leftovers I'm sharing with someone from work. Thank you Lorac for this wonderful recipe. And hoping for a speedy recovery for you!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet, add beef and cook over medium heat until browned.
- Add carrot, celery, onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Stir in tomato paste and broth, cover and simmer for 1 hour then season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease a baking dish with the butter.
- Add half the pasta, cover with 1/3 of the sauce, top with half the cheese and sprinkle with half the basil.
- Repeat the layers and top with the remaining sauce.
- Bake 15 minutes or until hot.