Recipe by Tish
This is a make ahead meal that you can eat now or hold in the freezer for up to 2 months. I have included reheating directions!
Top Review by piranhabriana
I have not made this as an OAMC meal... but that is probably because DH can't keep his hands off it long enough for it to reach the freezer, lol. I want to try this with meat in it next time to make it a one-dish dinner because my only complaint is its a little complicated as just a side! My parents both love it too!
- 12 ounces spinach, trimmed and washed well
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place spinach in a large saucepan, cover and cook over moderate heat until wilted about 3-4 minutes.
- Drain, cool and coarsley chop Melt 1 Tbs of the butter in a heavy skillet over moderate high heat.
- Add the onion and stir until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, basil, and tarragon.
- cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates-about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool Melt the remaining 3 Tbs of butter in a small sauce pan over moderate heat.
- Blend in the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for 5 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the mustard.
- Mix 1 cup of sauce with the macaroni.
- Distribute the macaroni equally among 4 greased 1 1/2 cup ramekins that can be reheated in a conventional or microwave oven.
- Stir 1/2 cup sauce into the mushroom mixture; then add the reserved spinach and the ricotta.
- Spoon the mix ove the macaroni and cover with the remaining Parmesan Cheese.
- Serve now or freeze and reheat in 400F oven.
- Bake the foil covered casseroles for 30 minutes, uncover and continue baking until bubbly or Microwave on high for about 7 minutes.