This is a make ahead meal that you can eat now or hold in the freezer for up to 2 months. I have included reheating directions!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces spinach, trimmed and washed well
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon basil, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard or 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1Place spinach in a large saucepan, cover and cook over moderate heat until wilted about 3-4 minutes.
- 2Drain, cool and coarsley chop Melt 1 Tbs of the butter in a heavy skillet over moderate high heat.
- 3Add the onion and stir until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, basil, and tarragon.
- 5cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid evaporates-about 5 minutes.
- 6Set aside to cool Melt the remaining 3 Tbs of butter in a small sauce pan over moderate heat.
- 7Blend in the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- 8Add the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- 9Reduce the heat to low and stir constantly for 5 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- 10Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and the mustard.
- 11Mix 1 cup of sauce with the macaroni.
- 12Distribute the macaroni equally among 4 greased 1 1/2 cup ramekins that can be reheated in a conventional or microwave oven.
- 13Stir 1/2 cup sauce into the mushroom mixture; then add the reserved spinach and the ricotta.
- 14Spoon the mix ove the macaroni and cover with the remaining Parmesan Cheese.
- 15Serve now or freeze and reheat in 400F oven.
- 16Bake the foil covered casseroles for 30 minutes, uncover and continue baking until bubbly or Microwave on high for about 7 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni, Spinach, and Cheese Casserole (OAMC)
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.2
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 89.9 mg
- Sodium 695.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 22.6 g