Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is generally a great favorite with children, and is rether like a light and fluffy mac and cheese. Make sure that you serve this immediately after it is done cooking or it will fall.
- 3 ounces short cut macaroni
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, to coat
- 3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese or 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 eggs, seperated
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300F Brush a 5-cup souffle' dish with the melted butter, thencoat evenly with the bread crumbs, shaking out any extra Put the 1/4 cup butter, paprika, flour and milk into a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick Simmer the sauce gently for 1 minute, the remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Season well with the salt and pepper and mix in the cooked pasta Beat in the egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and stir in a quarter into the sauce mixture to lighten it slightly Using a large, metal spoon, carefully fold into the rest of the egg whites and transfer to the prepared souffle' dish Bake in the center of the oven for about 40-45 minutes, until the souffle' is risen and golden brown.
- The middle should wobble very slightly and the souffle' should be slightly creamy inside.