Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is a colourful and tasty macaroni salad, can add in some hard-boiled eggs and/or chopped cooked ham also if desired, adjust all ingredient amounts to taste.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked until firm-tender
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 -2 large celery rib, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup minced red onions or 1⁄3 cup use 2 green onion, chopped
- 1 -2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl,combine mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, mustard, seasoned salt, black pepper and garlic powder; stir until blended.
- Remove about 1/4 cup dressing to a small container, cover and refrigerate.
- Add cooked macaroni, celery, carrot, red onion, tomato and peas to remaining dressing in a large bowl; stir well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate two or more hours, or overnight.
- Just before serving, add reserved dressing to salad, stir to blend.
I really enjoyed this yummy salad! It was creamy and full of veggies! I ate it 3 days in a row! Thanks! Made for KK's Going Green.
A wonderful taste of freshness here, macaroni, cooled with great vegetables how could you go wrong? I used a whole wheat pasta with extra vitamins, but other then that stayed true to the recipe. The yogurt was a delightful taste and I used garlic powder to taste (about 1/8 tsp.) This is a tried and true recipe that it so delicious, it will make your day and your night better too. Put it together quickly in the morning, by the evening you will enjoy. Or just eat it right from the bowl after making, (I did) who am I kidding? People are going to wait all day to eat this, you will be working on making it again that evening. :D Thanks as always, Kitten. Fall 2008
Great (and colorful) picnic salad. As written in the intro, I added 3 chopped hard-boiled eggs. I used the red onions, and the lesser amount of peas listed. For the medium tomato, I halved a handful of grape tomatoes because I think they slice nicer/neater. I subbed reduced fat sour cream for the yogurt without a problem. This recipe is a keeper......thanx!