Recipe by Laura Sage
From a July 1961 insert entitled "Good Housekeeping's recipes for summer living...when your dining room is all outdoors"
- 3 quarts boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 10 ounces frozen peas, cooked, drained
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 1 cup snipped scallion
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 20 pieces bologna (1-inch cubes)
- 20 pieces green peppers (1-inch squares)
- 10 stuffed olives
- 3⁄4 cup French dressing
- 10 wooden skewers (4 1/2-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- EARLY ON THE DAY.
- 1. To rapidly boiling water add 1 tbs salt. Gradually add macaroni so that water continues to boil; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Drain, rinse in cold water, drain again.
- 2. In large bowl, combine macaroni, peas, celery, scallions, horse-radish, 1 tsp salt, pepper and mayonnaise; refrigerate.
- 3. In another large bowl, combine Bologna cubes, green-pepper squares, stuffed olives and French dressing. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally.
- JUST BEFORE TERRACE SUPPER.
- 1. Pour off and reserve French dressing from Bologna-and-stuffed-olive mixture; thoroughly toss most or all of this dressing with the macaroni mixture; turn into large salad bowl.
- 2. On each wooden skewer, alternate Bologna cubes and green-pepper squares, topping them with a stuffed olive. Then press each of these kabobs, spoke fashion, into top of macaroni salad.