Recipe by mickeydownunder
Unique, different just like me, Can eat this for breakfast, lunch or tea! Special recipe to share with you! HOPE you think it's special too!
Top Review by mandabears
unique and different, but also similar to a noodle kugel, jewish soul food. I did not use any of the citron or grated lemon rind, I just doubled the vanilla extract. Really good, even for breakfast.
- 1⁄2 lb vermicelli, broken into very small pieces before cooking (pasta in strings thinner than spaghetti)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon citron, chopped very small
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook vermicelli in salted water until cooked and drain.
- Return macaroni to pot and cover macaroni with COLD water so that it will cool and not dry up.
- ***NOTE:Macaroni can NOT be warm when mixed with other ingredients***.
- In LARGE bowl, break 10 eggs and beat them VERY, VERY lightly; just enough to break and mix them.
- Squeezing with your hand sufficiently will do.
- Add milk to eggs.
- In another bowl, mix cinnamon to sugar.
- ALWAYS mixing lightly, add EACH remaining ingredient to the eggs, except for the macaroni.
- ***NOTE: Need to make sure all ingredients are mixed well and sugar is dissolved for the most part.
- Drain the cooled macaroni well and add to mixture.
- Using your hands is probably best for mixing.
- Grease pan lightly.
- (PYREX/GLASS preferred) and dust with flour, tapping out excess.
- Bake at 350°F until JUST about firm.
- Raise to 400°F until FIRM and to lightly brown the top.
- NOTE: Overcooking will dry it out.
- Worth trying, yes, TRUE!
- HOPE you'll have a go at making it for YOUR family too!