Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make sure to save all liquids from the preparation of the tomatoes so that they can be added to the sauce. Serve with some crusty bread and a side salad.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil, fresh and minced
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, ground fresh and to taste
- 1 lb macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- In a saute pan,heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter and saute the minced onion until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes and basil.
- Season with salt (remembering that the cheese is salty) and black pepper.
- Simmer gently,uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Cook the macaroni,according to package directions,drain out the cooking water and rinse the cooked macaroni in cool water.
- In the pot that you cooked the macaroni,combine rinsed macaroni with 4 tablespoons butter,the cooked tomato sauce and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Heat well and serve it with remaining cup of cheese in a bowl and make sure that you have a peppermill at the table.