Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Spaghetti sauce and mozzarella give this mac and cheese dish an Italian flavor. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat. This recipe is from Isabelle Wolters. I found this recipe in Light & Tasty magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keepin.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and sliced
- Prepare pasta according to package directions until cooked but firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, basil and oregano.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce.
- Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the flour, salt, nutmeg and cayenne.
- Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheddar and mozzarella cheeses until melted.
- Pour over macaroni mixture.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.