Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
Slices beautifully and is even good cold as in a salad or a sandwich. I omit the shrimp because of hubby's allergy to shellfish. I always double this recipe and use a bread pan to bake it in. Leftovers keep very well.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
CREOLE SHRIMP SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (2 ounce) can baby shrimp, drained
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Set aside.
- Scald half-and-half and pour over bread crumbs. Add onion, cheese, eggs, seasoned salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Stir in macaroni. Turn into a well-greased 7 1/2 x3 1/2 loaf pan.
- Set in roasting pan or other deep pan. Add hot water to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Turn out onto platter, if desired turn right side up. Garnish with parsley and pass the sauce.
- CREOLE SAUCE: In a small saucepan, sauté first 4 ingredients in the butter until tender. Stir in rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Add shrimp if used.