Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A yummy casserole my Mom used to make,good with fresh warm bread and a salad!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce ((I have used up to one cup of sauce))
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook and drain macaroni.
- Cook beef, onion, green pepper until meat is brown,drain off fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce,basil,and oregano,simmer 3 minutes.
- Spoon into rectangular baking dish.
- Melt 4 tbsp.
- butter,blend in flour and dry mustard.
- Gradually stir in milk,cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it thickens,add cheese, stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni.
- Spoon over meat layer.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter,combine with bread crumbs,sprinkle over top (i usually sprinkle a little parmesan over also.) Bake at 350 until heated through and bubbly.
- Note: I have torn up a few slices of bread before for the breadcrumbs and mixed them with the butter and it came out very well, they get nice & crispy!(Though I may have used more butter than called for)
I think this is a very good casserole ! IMHO , all that cheddar cheese was a bit much though . It overpowered the taste of the beef . I think cutting back the amount of cheese or replacing some of it , using a smoother melting cheese such as Velveeta , might help . I will be making this again because it was very good ! A nice meal to warm up the house on a cool afternoon . Thank You !!!