Recipe by Bergy
A macaroni casserole is always welcome in most families. Use mild sausage or bratwurst if you prefer. I like a bit of spice so I like to add a couple of jalapenos chopped and perhaps some olives or some hot sauce. Make it as hot or as mild as you like. Good meal for those fall/winter days ahead. Serve with a green salad and crusty rolls and there's your meal.
Top Review by mdumes
This was a good recipe with ingredients we actually had (except the sherry). I substituted 1/8 cup of vinegar, 1/8 cup of water and 1/2 tbsp of sugar for the sherry and boiled it the same as sherry. It was a huge hit with my husband, 2/3 kids liked it too! Definitely need to stir it up at about half the time, and reduced the time by 15 minutes or it would have been crispy!
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausages, remove casings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces medium mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup 2% fat cottage cheese, whipped until smooth
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a skillet with oil, heat.
- Add sausage, cook until crumbly, break it up as you are cooking the sausage, pour off excess fat.
- Add mushrooms and onion, cook until tender.
- Turn sausage, mushrooms and onion into an oven proof dish (approx 9x13").
- Pour sherry into the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape up the brown bits.
- Pour sherry over the sausage mixture.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, beef consommé, water and pasta.
- Bake in 375°F oven (covered) for 1 hour or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in sour cream (or cottage cheese).
- Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley.