1/7 Photos of Macaroni & Hot Italian Sausage
1 hr 15 mins
A macaroni casserole is always welcome in most families. Use mild sausage or bratwurst if you prefer. I like a bit of spice so I like to add a couple of jalapenos chopped and perhaps some olives or some hot sauce. Make it as hot or as mild as you like. Good meal for those fall/winter days ahead. Serve with a green salad and crusty rolls and there's your meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs hot Italian sausages, remove casings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces medium mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup 2% fat cottage cheese, whipped until smooth
- chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup asiago cheese
- 1Spray a skillet with oil, heat.
- 2Add sausage, cook until crumbly, break it up as you are cooking the sausage, pour off excess fat.
- 3Add mushrooms and onion, cook until tender.
- 4Turn sausage, mushrooms and onion into an oven proof dish (approx 9x13").
- 5Pour sherry into the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to scrape up the brown bits.
- 6Pour sherry over the sausage mixture.
- 7Stir in the tomato sauce, beef consommé, water and pasta.
- 8Bake in 375°F oven (covered) for 1 hour or until pasta is tender.
- 9Stir in sour cream (or cottage cheese).
- 10Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni & Hot Italian Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 777.9
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 1617.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 31.2 g