Recipe by Karen in MA
This version of a classic, combines creamy goat cheese and nutty Parmesan. The macaroni is mixed with the cheesy sauce, and then topped with a Parmesan, thyme, breadcrumb, and goat cheese mixture. Serve with a green salad and loaf of crusty bread. This dish can be made several hours ahead of time; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Top Review by Tobreth H.
This was nice - I doubled it easily enough but probably could have done only one for my family of five. They liked it and my dh said it was mild, which for a hot day was appreciated. I agree with the one person's comment about the sauteed onions and may do that if I make this again.
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup packed grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh)
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese (about 1 ounce)
- freshly grated pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Add the macaroni and cook about 8 to 10 minutes, or until just tender, depending on the size of the pasta. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. When the butter is melted and sizzling, stir in the flour to create a paste and cook 1 minute.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Let cook about 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the grated Parmesan and the goat cheese, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the olive oil to grease the bottom of a medium size gratin or baking dish, about 8 to 10 inches long.
- Place the drained macaroni in the dish and pour the cheese sauce on top, stirring gently to coat all the macaroni.
- In a small bowl, make the topping. Mix the Parmesan, breadcrumbs, thyme, and pepper. Spoon over the macaroni and top with the goat cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the pasta is hot.