Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A decadent dish. Good with a juicy steak.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 2 eggs
- 30 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- Cook the macaroni until done and drain.
- Combine cheeses, salt, pepper, cream and eggs in a bowl.
- Stir in macaroni and spread half of this mixture in a greased casserole dish.
- Arrange tomato slices and basil over this layer and top with remaining macaroni.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and cook the breadcrumbs gently until golden.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 minutes until it's golden on top.
This was good, really good! No, I mean it, I'm not joking, we really really love this one! Noodles, cheese, tomatoes, basil, heaven! I knew the kids wouldn't go for it with Swiss cheese, and tasty cheese means mozzerella for me, so I used a combination of some Dutch Emmental and lots and lots of fresh, juicy mozzerella. The yellow Dutch stuff was just to help hold the noodles together, it was the mozzie that really had a starring role here. Mozzie cheese, tomatoes and basil, one of my favorite combinations, and wonderful in this dish! I used fresh basil from my garden, and added some za'atar seasoning (hyssop). I am going to make this again and again! Dale, you are the boss tonight!