Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a big hit where I work. Sorry about the size, but these are the quantities I make at work. It will take a lot less time to prepare if you're only feeding 4 or six.
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 cups homogenized milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs bacon
- 5 lbs macaroni
- 4 lbs old cheddar cheese
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Make a roux.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until roux starts to look drier, about 5 minutes.
- Don't let roux get too dark.
- Add cold milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Bring bechamel to a boil, whisking often.
- Add cayenne, mustard, and salt to taste.
- Let boil for a minute or two, until sauce thickens.
- While bechamel is cooking, fry bacon, and drain on paper towels.
- Chop roughly.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- Grate cheese.
- Reserve 4 cups to top casseroles.
- Stir the rest into the finished sauce, along with the parmesan.
- Stir until relatively smooth.
- Add macoroni and combine.
- Pour mixture into three greased shallow hotel pans.
- Sprinkle reserved cheddar and bacon on top.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly.
very nice indeed....instant family favourite!.....Did make smaller quantity than listed. Found easy to adjust the quantities!
This is great. I scaled the recipe down to 6 servings, and used two 6-cup pans, lightly filled. We (my husband and I) ate about 2/3 of one pan for dinner tonight, and I froze the other panful for later. I guess you could say I got 6 generous servings. The flavor is excellent, with plenty of cheese, and the bacon makes it extra tasty. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us. It's a definite keeper. I just remembered - because our macaroni is in 500 g bags (about 1 lb 1 1/2 oz), and I used all of the bag, leaving the other ingredients the same, the servings I got were perhaps more generous than intended. This recipe scaled very well.