Recipe by TAM42
This is a big hit where I work. Sorry about the size, but these are the quantities I make at work. It will take a lot less time to prepare if you're only feeding 4 or six.
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 cups homogenized milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs bacon
- 5 lbs macaroni
- 4 lbs old cheddar cheese
- 3 cups grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until roux starts to look drier, about 5 minutes.
- Don't let roux get too dark.
- Add cold milk in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Bring bechamel to a boil, whisking often.
- Add cayenne, mustard, and salt to taste.
- Let boil for a minute or two, until sauce thickens.
- While bechamel is cooking, fry bacon, and drain on paper towels.
- Chop roughly.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- Grate cheese.
- Reserve 4 cups to top casseroles.
- Stir the rest into the finished sauce, along with the parmesan.
- Stir until relatively smooth.
- Add macoroni and combine.
- Pour mixture into three greased shallow hotel pans.
- Sprinkle reserved cheddar and bacon on top.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until bubbly.