Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Popovers are so delicate and delicious. I frequently add grated cheese to mine, so I figured they would be great with macaroni and cheese. The best tip I ever got when it comes to making popovers is to never, ever open the oven door while they cook. It could cause your beautiful popovers to collapse. Another key to success is to preheat your empty popover or muffin tins and work quickly to get the filled pans back in the oven. Also, I've always gotten the best results by using all ingredients for the batter at room to lukewarm temperature.
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk, lukewarm (about 90-100 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing popover tins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Macaroni & Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Crack the eggs into the pitcher of a blender. If your blender will not accommodate all of the ingredients, cut the recipe in half and blend in two batches.
- Microwave the milk until it is lukewarm.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave and add to the blender.
- Add the flour to the blender, 1/2 cup at a time, blending for a few seconds between additions. When all the flour has been added, blend for another 15 seconds. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- While batter rests, place your popover pan or extra large muffin tin in the oven for 5 minutes to preheat it.
- Place the Simply Macaroni & Cheese in a medium bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes to take the chill off.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave.
- Remove the pan from the oven and quickly brush the insides of the cups with melted butter, using a pastry brush.
- Pour a small amount of batter into the bottom of each cup to a depth of about 1/4 inch.
- Spoon the warmed Simply Macaroni & Cheese into the center of each cup, about 1/4 cup per popover.
- Pour in the remaining batter, equally dividing it among the cups and filling them to within 1/4 inch of the top.
- Bake in lower 1/3 of oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes. Do not open the oven door during baking as this may cause the popovers to collapse.
- Serve immediately.