Recipe by chia
i was looking for the ultimate mac n cheese recipe and found this old one i had forgotten about. even picky dd4 had 2 servings. it's wonderful.obviously this is not gluten free, since it uses macaroni, but there is no added flour in the cheese sauce.
Top Review by pdallen387
I used the cream cheese version for my daughter's baby shower. Since I have family who are gluten intolerate, I used rice macoroni instead of the traditional wheat. For the topping, I used only the shredded cheese and skipped the bread crumbs. It was a huge hit! My family loved being able to eat a long time favorite again!
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces yogurt or 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup vermouth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- 16 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces macaroni
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 350.
- add macaroni to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes, drain and return to pot.
- meanwhile heat milk, vermouth and yogurt in a saucepan until just about to simmer, remove from heat.
- beat eggs in a bowl.
- add milk to eggs, slowly, stirring to temper.
- return to saucepan and cook on low heat until starting to thicken.
- stir in 12 oz of cheese stirring to melt.
- add to macaroni, mix well.
- spray a 2 quart baking dish or an au gratin dish with cooking spray, add macaroni.
- top with 1 cup cheese, bread crumbs and pieces of butter.
- bake 35 minutes until bubbling.
- you can stick it under the broiler for a few minutes if you like it browner.