Recipe by Sarah
Sort of a "grownup" version of this classic dish.
Top Review by Merlot
What a great change-of-pace Macaroni & Cheese dish! I followed you instructions exactly using Gruyere instead of Emmenthaler cheese. For the wine, I used Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. WONDERFUL dish! Thank you so much, Spinner for a lovely recipe. :-)
- 250 g macaroni
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour
- 600 ml milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 50 g gruyere or 50 g emmenthaler cheese, grated
- 50 g Fontina cheese, diced
- 50 g gorgonzola, crumbled
- 75 g parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F), cook pasta according to instructions.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan, then add flour and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add milk in small quantities, whisk vigorously after each addition.
- Stir in cream and white wine, and bring to boil.
- Cook until sauce thickens stirring constantly, remove from heat.
- Add gruyere, fontina, gorgonzola and 1/3 of the parmesan to sauce, stir to mix in cheeses.
- Taste sauce for seasoning add salt and pepper in neccessary.
- Drain pasta, tip into baking dish, pour sauce in and mix well to combine, sprinkle remaining parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until golden brown.