I like this recipe as it is easy to prepare and very tasty. I have a combination microwave oven and the entire dish is prepared in the microwave. You could use a regular oven instead with the same result.
- 259 g macaroni (cooked)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 slices bacon (finely chopped)
- 50 ml butter
- 50 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 extra large eggs (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 5 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Mix the chopped onion & bacon and cook in butter until soft.
- Sprinkle onions with the flour and mix together and cook for a further minute.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk while stiriing, cook until the sauce thickens.
- Off the heat add the cream and eggs and parsley.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the mixture. Season the sauce with Salt & Pepper Mix the sauce with the macaroni .
- Grease a suitable oven proof dish.
- Place a layer of tomato slices on the base of the dish.
- Pour the macaroni mixture into the dish.
- Sprinkle rest of the cheddar cheese on top.
- Place rest of tomato slices on top and top with the parmesan cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 min until lightly browned on top.