Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni, drain.
- In saucepan melt butter, stir in flour, salt pepper and add milk and cook, while stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Combine macaroni and sauce in buttered casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake in 350 oven for 30 mins.
- Can sprinkle with a little paprika to aid in browning some.
This was a quick & easy recipe to make for a family gathering. I doubled the recipe exactly & added a bit more flour. Instead of the cheddar, I used velveeta cheese. Perfect. (Just ask my 3 boys)
This is by far the best macaroni and cheese I've ever made. I have been looking for an EASY homemade mac and cheese (I am not a fan of the "box" kind), and I am happy to say this is it!!!! Reminds of the kind my great-grandma used to make. This is comfort food at its finest. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
I made this last night for dinner. This was the first time that I've ever made "homemade" macaroni and cheese. I used shell pasta instead of macaroni (using the same amount of uncooked pasta). I almost cooked additional pasta before I baked it because when I mixed the pasta with the cheese mixture it looked very soupy. It's a good thing that I didn't!! During the baking process, the liquid "evaporated". This is a recipe that will definitely be used again! Thanks for sharing!