Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe for Macaroni Cheese is SUPER QUICK to make, and soooooooo delicious too!
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons cornflour (mixed to a paste with a small amount of water)
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (300 g) package macaroni
- Make the CHEESE SAUCE: Put the cheese and milk in a pan and heat.
- As soon as it starts to rise, add the cornflour (mixed to a paste with a little water).
- Stir until thick.
- Now make the TOMATO SAUCE: Fry the onion until brown.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer gently.
- Add herbs and spices, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Cook 1 300g packet of Macaroni in the usual way.
- Layer the Macaroni, Cheese Sauce, and then the Tomato Sauce in a casserole dish- (I usually finish with a layer of Macaroni, though it doesn't really matter what layer you finish with).
- Top with grated cheese and bake at 180'C (350'F) until brown on top (approximately 20 minutes) VOILA.
I chose this recipe because it looked like it would be a great side dish for the Easy Steak Nuggets by Stacy Buzzell #69478. I rated it a four because the prep time and cook times were way off. It took the Macaroni 15 minutes to cook. I started it first. The cheese sauce took 20 minutes to thicken. I prepared the tomato sauce while the cheese sauce was thickening. Instead of using the whole tomatoes I use a 14-½ ounce can of stewed tomatoes Italian recipe (basil, garlic & oregano included in the can), sticking to the Italian theme. I topped the dish with grated mozzarella cheese, and baked for the 20 minute suggested time. Total time spent on this dish was 45 minutes. When I removed it from the oven it looked wonderful. It tasted as good as it looked! This one will be a keeper because there are so many different ways to prepare this dish!