Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, classic, delicous. So many variations. What could be better?
Make and share this Macaroni & Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 8 ounces grated cheese (I like a mix of sharp cheddars)
- Cook the elbow noodles in plenty of boiling, salted water, until cooked but slightly firm Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a shallow casserole dish or Pyrex pie plate.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper, and stir or whisk continuously to form a smooth roux. Cook for 1 minutes.
- Add the milk, stir or whisk until smooth, and bring just to a boil. This mixture should be thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat, and gradually add the cheese, stirring until smooth and melted.
- Stir in the noodles.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Top with a mixture of toasted bread crumbs and finely grated parmigiano-reggiano before baking.
- A nice addition is to saute a finely chopped onion in the butter until translucent, then add a tablespoon of dijon mustard and a few pinches of cayenne pepper, before adding the flour to make the roux.