Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mmmm...rich, cheesy, and comforting! I have successfully cut this recipe in half for my family of four and we still have leftovers, so the servings are quite generous.
- 340.19 g elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 103.53 ml butter
- 88.74 ml flour
- 709.77 ml skim milk
- 7.39 ml salt
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 354.88 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- Cook macaroni about 5 minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk and add salt, mustard, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thicked and just beginning to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni and transfer to greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I'm not a fan of the blue box stuff and have never made mac and cheese before so I decided to try this recipe(because of the picture!). I used gruyere cheese in place of the swiss(used what I had on hand) and that was the only change to the recipe. It was easy to make, rich, cheesy and delish! Thank you.
This was so good. Creamy and cheesy. I halved the recipe but put in a little extra dry mustard and a dash of tabasco just to spice it up a little. We loved it and will have it again. Gloria
This was excellent. At first I thought it was going to be too dry, but it turned out perfect. I love the flavor that the garlic powder and dry mustard gave it. Will be making this again. Thanks.