Recipe by wife2abadge
Mmmm...rich, cheesy, and comforting! I have successfully cut this recipe in half for my family of four and we still have leftovers, so the servings are quite generous.
Top Review by Mari
I'm not a fan of the blue box stuff and have never made mac and cheese before so I decided to try this recipe(because of the picture!). I used gruyere cheese in place of the swiss(used what I had on hand) and that was the only change to the recipe. It was easy to make, rich, cheesy and delish! Thank you.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni about 5 minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk and add salt, mustard, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thicked and just beginning to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses and stir until melted.
- Stir in macaroni and transfer to greased 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.