Recipe by Tatia #2
This recipe came from online chef Karin Calloway. I made it for a friend after the birth of her first child. I said I would cook for her and she said she wanted Mac and Cheese...it was a big hit. And you thought Velveeta wasn't good for anything...just try this recipe and you will change your mind.
- 1 (16 ounce) boxready cut macaroni noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (skim is ok)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (hand shredded is preferable)
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, sliced or cut into cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and.
- cook pasta according to package directions until al dente (about 8.
- minutes) - drain and return to the pot.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook,.
- stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a.
- simmer. Cook over medium to med-low for 10 minutes, until thickened.
- slightly. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the white sauce to the pasta and toss, coating well. Pour half of.
- the pasta into a 3 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with.
- nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the shredded cheddar.
- cheese and layer with half of the Velveeta. Repeat layers, cover and.
- bake 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5.
- minutes, then toss to distribute cheese.
- (makes 6 main dish and 8-10 side dish servings).