Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the "comfort food" most requested by my kids over the years and probably one of the few meals that all 5 kids would rate unanimously thumbs up! I use a lighter version of this recipe (#136686)when calories are being watched and it is equally welcomed on the dinner table.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- In a saucepan, over low heat, melt butter. Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon 3 minutes or until sauce is frothy and taste of flour is gone.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and continue heating until sauce is just at the boiling point. Turn down the heat; let simmer a few minutes.
- Add pepper & hot sauce but, don't use hot sauce (or mustard) too sparingly, as it helps to bring out the taste of the cheese. Stir in the heavy cream; simmer briefly or until flavors are blended.
- Stir 3/4 of the cheese into simmering sauce and blend until melted; combine cheese sauce with the cooked macaroni and pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
This was so simple to fix and so good. I served it with keilbasa sausages baked ontop and it was a hit!