Sara 76's Note:
This is one of Jamie Oliver's quick pasta meals, from his Ministry Of Food cookbook. You can either serve the dish unbaked so it is silky and gooey, or you can grill it so it has a crispy, golden topping. You can add a grated hard-boiled egg, flaked smoked haddock, or cooked prawns if you want.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1TO PREPARE YOUR PASTA:.
- 2Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower and discard.
- 3Slice the end off the cauliflower stalk.
- 4Cut the head into small florets.
- 5Halve the thick stalk lengthways then slice thinly.
- 6Grate the cheddar cheese and parmesan into a large bowl.
- 7Finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves.
- 8TO COOK YOUR PASTA:.
- 9Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- 10Add the macaroni and all of your cauliflower and cook according to the macaroni packet instructions.
- 11Place the bowl of cheese over the saucepan and add the creme fraiche.
- 12Carefully stir every so often until the cheese is smooth and melted.
- 13If the water boils up underneath the bowl, just turn the heat down slightly.
- 14Add all the chopped parsley to the melted cheese and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- 15Carefully remove the bowl of cheese using a towel or oven gloves and set aside.
- 16Drain the macaroni in a colander over a bowl, reserving the cooking water.
- 17Return the pasta to the pan, pour in the melted cheese and stir.
- 18It should have a lovely silky consistency, but if it's too thick, add a splas of your cooking water to thin it out a bit.
- 19At this point you can either serve the macaroni as it is, or finish it under the grill to make it crispy and golden on top.
- 20To do this, preheat your grill to medium heat.
- 21Add 150ml of the reserved cooking water to the macaroni, stir in, then transfer to a baking dish.
- 22Place under the grill until golden and bubbling.
- 23TO SERVE YOUR PASTA:.
- 24Divide the pasta between plates or bowls, or place the baking dish in the middle of the table next to a nice green salad and let everyone help themselves.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Macaroni Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 881.5
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 755.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 38.4 g