Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of Jamie Oliver's quick pasta meals, from his Ministry Of Food cookbook. You can either serve the dish unbaked so it is silky and gooey, or you can grill it so it has a crispy, golden topping. You can add a grated hard-boiled egg, flaked smoked haddock, or cooked prawns if you want.
- 1⁄2 medium cauliflower
- 200 g cheddar cheese
- 100 g parmesan cheese
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley
- sea salt
- 400 g macaroni, uncooked
- 200 g creme fraiche
- TO PREPARE YOUR PASTA:.
- Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower and discard.
- Slice the end off the cauliflower stalk.
- Cut the head into small florets.
- Halve the thick stalk lengthways then slice thinly.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and parmesan into a large bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves.
- TO COOK YOUR PASTA:.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Add the macaroni and all of your cauliflower and cook according to the macaroni packet instructions.
- Place the bowl of cheese over the saucepan and add the creme fraiche.
- Carefully stir every so often until the cheese is smooth and melted.
- If the water boils up underneath the bowl, just turn the heat down slightly.
- Add all the chopped parsley to the melted cheese and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Carefully remove the bowl of cheese using a towel or oven gloves and set aside.
- Drain the macaroni in a colander over a bowl, reserving the cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the pan, pour in the melted cheese and stir.
- It should have a lovely silky consistency, but if it's too thick, add a splas of your cooking water to thin it out a bit.
- At this point you can either serve the macaroni as it is, or finish it under the grill to make it crispy and golden on top.
- To do this, preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Add 150ml of the reserved cooking water to the macaroni, stir in, then transfer to a baking dish.
- Place under the grill until golden and bubbling.
- TO SERVE YOUR PASTA:.
- Divide the pasta between plates or bowls, or place the baking dish in the middle of the table next to a nice green salad and let everyone help themselves.
Next time I will add the parsley and only use cheddar cheese. What a great use of time to make the sauce! My family ate it all up!