Recipe by silky
This is a delicious version of the ever-popular mac and cheese. Creamy, but not too high fat cause it uses milk. Lots of cheesy flavour from Swiss or Cheddar doubled up with Parmesan. You can keep it simple or doll it up with some peas and ham.
- 6 ounces macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, packed
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted (optional)
- 4 ounces ham, diced (optional)
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 qts water to a boil.
- Add 1 tblsp salt.
- Add macaroni.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, shake out excess moisture well.
- For the sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Whisk in flour.
- Cook, without browning, 5 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Stir in Tabasco, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, nutmeg, mustard, Swiss cheese and Parmesan.
- Pat peas and ham dry with paper towels.
- Combine with well-drained macaroni.
- Stir in sauce.
- Taste mixture and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a buttered 3 qt casserole.
- Combine ingredients for topping.
- Sprinkle over macaroni.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbling.