Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Use old cheddar for this casserole and add in some frozen peas too, you can add in whatever you like! You can sprinkle the top with grated Parmesan cheese or cheddar cheese in place of the breading if desired.
Top Review by GreenGlam
Excellent recipe. Made exactly as written, except I used fresh parm, so much better than the powdered, dusty stuff in the can. (OK and maybe I can admit that I used some of the bacon fat along with the butter to cook the veggies-Pork Fat Rules!)
- 1 (500 g) box small elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 18% cream)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups old cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped (can use more or less)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni pasta in boiling salted water until firm-tender, about 5 minutes (do not overcook the macaroni) drain, but do not rinse; transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in a heavy medium saucepan, add in the chopped onions, garlic, chopped mushrooms, green bell pepper and dry mustard powder; sauté until veggies are tender and the mushrooms lose their moisture (about 6 minutes).
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the half and half cream; whisking until slightly thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and cooked bacon; stir to combine, then season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and add in the shredded cheddar cheese; stir until completely melted.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked macaroni in the bowl along with the mushroom soup; mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Transfer and spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, then sprinkle over the top.
- Bake until heated through and golden brown on top (about 20-25 minutes).