Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was made for my SIL's birthday dinner. One of the best Mac and Cheese I have had.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, cut into small cubes
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set breadcrumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dijon mustard, cheddar cheese, and Gruyère; set cheese sauce aside.
- Cook macaroni 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions. Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
Yummy! We loved the bread cubes on top, they toasted nice and crispy! Very cheesy and creamy, just as it should. I used cheddar and parmesan, because that's what was on hand.
Cheesy and creamy but ours was a bit soupy. This may have been my fault by skipping the bread and using bow ties macaroni instead of the macaroni called for. We also used monterey jack instead ofthe gruyere. Thanks for sharing!
Wow! KelBel's, this was outstanding. We enjoyed this very much. It was rich and creamy. I used Jarlsberg cheese and Sharp Cheddar. I didn't have any macaroni pasta so I used little penne. It worked great. Thank you so much for sharing.