Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 mins
"Wow everyone with easy & delicious bites that are the perfect party poppers!" From Southern Living Jan 2008, submitted by Melody lee Dothan.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, drained
- 3⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs, dried
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- vegetable oil
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 2 cups milk and next 3 ingredients; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Cheddar cheese and pimiento until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in pasta.
- Line a 13- x 9-inch pan with plastic wrap, allowing several inches to extend over edges of pan. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool slightly; cover and chill 8 hours. Remove macaroni mixture from pan, and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish or pie plate. Whisk together eggs and 1/2 cup milk in another shallow dish or pie plate; dip macaroni bites in egg mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 1 inch in a large skillet; heat to 350°. Fry bites, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden.