Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
My husband loves Mac 'n Cheese, I don't. I found this recipe on the back of a box of elbows and adapted it to suit us both.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Had some Fontina cheese in the fridge that needed to be used so I went looking for a recipe and this is what I found. Very tasty mac & cheese. Made half of the recipe and DH said I should have made the entire recipe so he would have leftovers for lunch - guess I'll have to make it again! Thanks for posting this. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
- 8 ounces macaroni (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped, I use a large onion)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 lb Fontina cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cook macaroni, drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Add macaroni to casserole dish.
- Sauté onions in butter, over medium heat, until translucent and tender.
- Stir in flour and salt, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add milk stirring constantly to blend.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Fontina cheese, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Mix together gently, and pour into casserole dish, and mix with macaroni.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350° F 30-35 minutes, or until heated through and golden on the top.